Monday, December 12, 2016

What's It Worth?

Verse of the day: Acts 20:24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

What is our life worth? To God, it was worth dying for (although that thought still baffles me, and at the same time causes me to praise and thank Him). To Jesus, it was worth it. In Philippians, the Word tells us He went to the Cross for the joy of what it would accomplish. Is that not astounding? Here, the Apostle Paul is saying his "farewells" to a group of brothers, and sisters, he will not see again, as he knows that his service to our Lord will end in death. How often have we wanted to know God's plan, ahead of time? How often have we wanted to know the details? Yet, I believe that for many, we would be better off not knowing. How many of us would honest go forward with God's plan for our life, if He revealed that all our years of service would involve suffering, and end in death, at the hands of man? I am afraid that many would be like Jonah, and run the other way. The Apostle was told, from the outset, that he would suffer many things, for the sake of the Gospel. Nonetheless, he valued his service, and commitment to God, more than he valued his own life. Would every born again believer have the same mindset! What then could be accomplished in the Name of Jesus! So, I ask today, "What is our life worth?" Have we sold out to the world for a cheap price? Have we sold out for things that are temporary, carnal, and of no heavenly worth? Or...have we sold out to God? Have we surrendered our lives to the One who showed us that our lives were worth dying for? Let us commit, and surrender our lives today, to God, who can make more of our lives in His hands than we ever could, or can, by deciding what to do with them. Like the Apostle, let us count our lives as dung, and service to God, even unto death, as being of great value. For all that we can gain here pales in comparison to what we will gain in Heaven for service rendered to God, and souls saved, as a result of a life lived in obedience to the Lord, and His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment