Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Oh, That My People Would Listen

Psalms 81:11-13 "But My people would not heed My voice, and Israel would have  none of Me. So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart, to walk in their own counsels. 'Oh, that My people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways!'"

When I read all that the Lord did to deliver Israel from Egyptian bondage, then read how they responded while being led through the wilderness, it saddens me. The reason it saddens me is because today the church is no different than Israel was so many years ago. God's church can be, and is at times, just as stubborn and stiff-necked as God's people Israel. Though He gave His life for us, saved us, shows us His goodness, and continually blesses us, we still turn to other gods. Some of us reading this will immediately deny this, but I ask, "How often have we given preference to making money, chasing earthly wealth, gone after relationships that were outright wrong (being unequally yoked), and made something or someone a priority over God? How often have we decided that we knew better than God, and made ourselves our own gods? All the while Jesus remained faithful. If some of us would admit it, we would say that the times that God allowed adversity in our lives were times when He was trying to get us to refocus on Him. He was trying to get us to finally recommit, and surrender, our lives to Him. How are we doing today? Is God the God of our life today, or are there other gods we are bowing down to? Is God free to use us in His service, or is He patiently standing by saying, "Oh, that My people would listen to Me, that My church would walk in My ways"?

Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His free gift of salvation (Rom 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive Him and His free gift of salvation today (Rom 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment