Saturday, November 11, 2023

What Are We Asking For?

‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭‭I John‬ ‭5:14‭-‬15‬ [14] Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. [15] And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

Have you ever prayed and eventually became frustrated because your prayers seemed to fall on deaf ears? Have you ever felt like your prayers didn't get past the ceiling? If I'm going to be honest, I'd have to admit that I've felt like that a time or ten. Well, I want us all to be certain of one thing; God hears all our prayers. The same God who heard the cries of His people Israel, while they were in bondage in Egypt, is the same God who hears our every cry today. One of the problems is not that God doesn't hear or answer, but instead it's that we often ask amiss, and not according to God's will. The other problem is that we fail to acknowledge or recognize that God has answered with a "no" or a "wait, not yet" response. John reminds us that we can pray with confidence whenever we pray for something in accordance with God's will. How do we find His will? We find His will in His Word. As we prayerfully live out His will, His plan for our lives will begin to unfold. John assures us that if we pray with God's will in mind, we can pray knowing that He hears us; and if He hears us, He will certainly answer our petitions. However, let me remind all of us, my friends, that we can very easily miss the answer if we don't come to the realization that God's answer may not come packaged in the way we asked or expected. His ways are far above our ways, and His ways are not our ways. He will always answer our petitions in a way that is best for us, and best in bringing glory to Himself. So, the next time we bring our requests and desires, let us ask ourselves, "Am I delighting myself in the Lord? Am I asking what I'm asking for with a selfish end in mind? Am I asking this in accordance with His will or mine? If He were to answer in the affirmative, would it satisfy my flesh or glorify Him? Will this cause Him to increase in my life before others, or will this exalt me, myself, and I?" Maybe asking these will bring our prayers in closer alignment with His will and plan for our lives, as we ask them in His Name.

Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His free gift of salvation (Romans 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive His free gift of salvation today (Romans 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment