Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Stop, Pray, Respond

Psalms 35:12-16 They reward me evil for good, to the sorrow of my soul. But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth; I humbled myself with fasting; and my prayer would return to my own heart. I paced about as though he were my friend or brother; I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother. But in my adversity they rejoiced and gathered together; attackers gathered against me, and I did not know it; they tore at me and did not cease; with ungodly mockers at feasts they gnashed at me with their teeth.

Here is a sad reality about life and earthly relationships; if we expect that people will never betray us, or will never fail us, then we have set unrealistic expectations. The fact of the matter is that we live in a fallen world, filled with imperfect people, self included, who are not exempt from falling short in some way. The truth is that we will be greatly disappointed if we think that everyone we are kind to, and care for, will return the same kindness. Family has betrayed family, and friends have betrayed friends. People will slander, lie, and do whatever it takes to get ahead in life, or gain the world's riches. Yes brothers and sisters, this is the world we live in. So we should not be surprised when this happens to us. I say all this to remind us all that regardless of how the world behaves toward us, we are to respond to them as the Lord has commanded. We are to love our enemies, and pray for those who spitefully use us (Matthew 5:44). Will this be an easy thing to do? No, it will not. Is it possible? Yes, with Christ, and the Holy Spirit working in and through us, it is absolutely possible. Romans 12 tells us to bless those who persecute us, "bless and do not curse". It then goes on to tell us, "Repay no one evil for evil." We are to live peaceably with all men, if it is possible, as much as it depends on us. The reality of life on earth is that we will all experience this to some degree, at some point, in our walk with Jesus. However, we must always remember that no matter what others do to us, God is always faithful, and never betrays us. On the contrary, not only is He always faithful, but He helps us to remain faithful in our responses to those who betray us; if we willing to humbly submit ourselves to Him. Before we respond to other people's unkind actions or words, we must step back, pray, and ask Jesus to help us respond in a way that will bring Him the most glory.

Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His free gift of salvation (Rom 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive Him and His free gift of salvation today (Rom 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment