Friday, November 24, 2017

A New Course In Christ

Verse of the day: Exodus 2:1-2 And a man of the house of Levi went and took as wife a daughter of Levi. 2 So the woman conceived and bore a son. And when she saw that he was a beautiful child, she hid him three months.

Here, in this second chapter of Exodus, we see God’s grace in the lineage of Levi. Levi was one of Joseph’s brothers who, along with Simeon, murdered the men of Shechem. However, we know that later God uses the lineage of Levi to serve Him as priests, and here we see the first in this lineage to be used greatly, by God, to deliver His people from bondage in Egypt. My parents made decisions that affected my life, and I have made decisions that have affected my children. However, I too have made decisions in my life that have changed the course of my life, as my children can also make decisions that will change the course of their lives. The first, and most important, choice I made was to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior, and Lord, and choose to seek His plan for my life. My children also, in having a personal relationship with the Lord, can make decisions that will keep them on the path God has chosen for them. God, being the merciful God that He is, did not disqualify Moses from serving Him because of his ancestor Levi’s heinous crime. Moses also did not use that as a crutch to avoid being used by God (we will see later that Moses had his own set of personal issues to overcome in serving the Lord). So it is with us that we do not have to follow in the footsteps of our parents or grandparents, or use whatever happened in our childhood as a crutch or excuse to avoid living the life God desires for us to live. Having come from a heritage of witchcraft, idol worship, and a home marred by abuse, I praise God that He saw fit to still use me to serve Him today. I have made my own personal decisions that have caused interruptions in my service to the Lord, and have affected those that I love; nonetheless, God has chosen to still use me in spite of me. The bottom line is that each of us has an opportunity to serve God, and live out God’s plan for our lives, which first begins with a person relationship with our loving, merciful, forgiving, and gracious Savior Jesus Christ. One of the best examples I see of this in God’s Word is Gideon. His father was a Baal worshiper, yet God used Gideon as one of the judges of Israel. However, Gideon, in being chosen to serve the Lord, first was commanded to tear down his father’s idolatrous altar, build an altar to the Lord, and sacrifice his father’s young bull as a burnt offering on God’s altar (Judges 6:25-27). We, as God’s servants, are not bound by the decisions or choices of our parents. Ezekiel 18:20 tell us, “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.” Whatever our past, whatever we have endured in our childhood, or whatever our parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents were or did, does not have to define who we are today in Christ.

Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His free gift of salvation (Rom 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive Him and His free gift of salvation today (Rom 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment