Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Our Weakness His Strength

Verse of the day: Judges 3:15, But when the children of Israel cried out to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for them: Ehud the son of Gera, the Benjamite, a left-handed man. By him the children of Israel sent tribute to Eglon king of Moab.
Once again, Israel cries out to the Lord due to their oppression, oppression that resulted from their own rebellion. God sends them a judge, Ehud, who had a physical ability considered a peculiarity in those days. I was born being left-handed, and the belief was that being left-handed was evil, so as a child, I was trained to be right-handed. In some cases, being left-handed was equivalent to having a disability. Although there are challenges to being left-handed, mostly because a lot of the tools we use are manufactured for right-handed people, it is not something that today would be consider a disability in any way. What makes this a significant point to stress in this passage is that in those days, being left-handed was most certainly a peculiarity. With that said, note how God uses Ehud’s peculiarity to deliver His people. Ehud, being left-handed, gave him an advantage in being able to approach Eglon without being suspected. It is also the opinion of some that Ehud was left-handed because he had some kind of disability to his right hand, which would have led Eglon to have an even great false sense of security in meeting him. What I would like for us to see in this is that God can use every single one of us, regardless of what we perceive our shortcoming or weakness to be. In reality, it is in our weakness that God receives the greater glory. Moses had a speech problem, but that was not a problem for God (Exodus 4:10). In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul had issues with his eyes. In Galatians 4:13-15 he wrote, “You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me.” In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, the Apostle wrote this, “And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8 Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” The bottom line is that having some kind of shortcoming, physical disability, or any other weakness, is not an excuse not to serve the Lord. God can use anyone who is willing to make themselves available, and who will trust the Lord to work through them in whatever capacity He chooses. Sadly, many able-bodied believers squander their talents and abilities. They choose to use them for their own benefit and praise, and for the world’s benefit, but leave the local church wanting when it comes to ministering to the saints. Ehud could have whined about being born left-handed in a right-handed world. If it was a fact that he was disabled in his right hand, he could have complained, as Moses did, about his disability, and made excuses why he could not perform the task God called him to. Instead, Ehud chose to use his peculiarity as an advantage in serving the Lord. Before we complain about what we cannot do because of a shortcoming, let us remember God’s response to Moses’ objection in Exodus 4:11-12, “So the LORD said to him, ‘Who has made man’s mouth? Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the LORD? 12 Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say.’” We can waste our life making excuses for what we cannot do because of our own perceived disadvantages, or we can trust God to use those very challenges and weaknesses to accomplish great things, and bring glory to His Name.
Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His gift of salvation (Rom 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive Him and His gift of salvation today (Rom 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment