Thursday, April 19, 2018

Acceptance of Consequences

Verse of the day: Numbers 27:15-17, Then Moses spoke to the LORD, saying: 16 “Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation, 17 who may go out before them and go in before them, who may lead them out and bring them in, that the congregation of the LORD may not be like sheep which have no shepherd.”
Some time back we discussed the consequences of Moses’ disobedience in striking the rock in the wilderness rather than speak to it as God instructed (Numbers 20). Here, as a consequence of his actions, Moses is given the opportunity to see the Promise Land, but not enter it. God has a plan for each of us, and we could be faithful for a long time in following the path He has chosen for us. However, all that can change in the blink of an eye, if we are not careful in our walk with Him. Moses’ response and attitude are an example that we can all follow in dealing with, and accepting, the consequences of our sins. He did not try to change God’s mind or complain that the consequences were too severe. Rather than concern himself with what was happening to him, he was more concerned with the well-being of God’s people. Our ability to accept even the most painful consequences will depend on how much responsibility we are willing to take for our own actions, and how much contentment we have in what God allows or does not allow in our lives. There will be times when God will allow consequences for what we have done that seem far too harsh for whatever our actions or inactions were. However, God is always far better to us than we deserve when it comes to how He chooses to discipline His children. Although we may vehemently complain about the method He chooses to get our attention and put us back on the path we belong, He is the One who knows exactly what it will take to get us to put our eyes back on Him. He knows what consequences will get us back on track and moving away from our sinful behavior. His discipline is actually His way of showing us that He loves us and that we belong to Him. Hebrew 12:3-11 clearly reminds us that we are disciplined because we are His children. It also clearly reminds us that it is for our profit so that we may partake of His holiness, and be trained by it, yielding the peaceable fruit of righteousness in our lives. I must note here that accepting God’s discipline in our lives does not gain us a pat on the back. Although we can use those opportunities to allow God to openly display His peace and joy, in us and through us, for the world to see, it is not an opportunity for us to seek a “congratulatory high five” from God. 1 Peter 2:20 tells us, “For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.” Instead, accepting the consequences of our sins, if they are harsh, is an opportunity for us to learn contentment. In my own life I have suffered great loss because of sinful choices. Yet, these past years have been some of the happiest of my life. Why? Because the consequences God allowed in my life turned me around and put me on a path that drew me closer to Him. It is training me and teaching me to be content with my life, no matter what God allows. In Philippians 4:12-13 the Apostle Paul wrote, “I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” In 1 Timothy 6:6 he also wrote, “Now godliness with contentment is great gain.” The consequences God has allowed in my life are teaching me that regardless of whether a trial comes from my own sinful decisions, or whether I am affected because of something I had nothing to do with, God is in control and He is allowing it and will work it for my good; that ultimate good being that He is working in my to make me more like my Savior (Romans 8:28-29). We must do all we can to walk in righteousness and be holy as our God is holy (1 Peter 1:16), but when we have those moments in our lives when we “go sideways” and God disciplines us, allowing what might seem like harsh consequences, rather than complain, let us see it as an opportunity to let Him teach us to walk rightly and learn contentment. Once we are back on the right path, let God use it for His glory as others see the peace and joy we have, when to them it makes more sense that we should be falling apart.
Today, God extends an invitation to you to accept His gift of salvation (Rom 6:23). Will you accept it? Anyone who calls on Jesus, by faith, in repentance, confessing your sins, will receive eternal life. Do not put off calling on Him, and receive Him and His gift of salvation today (Rom 10:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment